Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mid-city meditation (2007)


I take off my shoes

so the grass can imprint
abstract designs on my ankles

can't see any other meditators
in Alexandra Gardens


a precious day

sun gushing,
pooling on gemgrass;
river metallic


cars on City Rd
sounding like the ocean
(peaceful cars)

I slow
& stop thinking
for some seconds

then I remember
to take off my sunglasses

& it becomes a lot brighter
behind closed eyes

I notice this,
then revisit the breath

an easy breeze
stroking my face

I revisit the breath,
revisit the breath

until half an hour later
I hatch
from my trance-shell,

look over at my shadow,
my head made of grass

*

8pm that night
I meet Monica on the bridge

we gaze through the sci-fi city,
make new pledges,
smile out...

a 4x4 crushing
a skater's stray deck
jolts us back to the wheel


As published in The Cartier Street Review, February 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment